A database established for the island of Koh Tao in order to facilitate collaboration on the maintenance of mooring lines around the island.
Current Mooring Line Conditions
The map below shows the locations and conditions of mooring lines as most recently reported. The following color codes are used:
- Green – Good Condition, no repairs needed
- Orange – Maintenance required (i.e. Missing ball, broken pick-up line, extreme wear on line, etc.)
- Red – Mooring line is unusable, broken, or missing
Click on the mooring line icons to get more information
Join to Help This Project
As a diver on the island, we need your help to make this project a continued success. Mooring lines not only facilitate our diving businsses, but protect the reef from damage by anchors or boat groundings. All divers can and should be a part of this project.
We need volunteers on the island to assist us by reporting on the conditions of the mooring lines they use each day, which allows us to know when we need to order equipment and send out teams to conduct repairs.
Join as a volunteer with these easy steps:
- Read the article about mooring lines so you know all the right parts, or sign up for our mooring line certification course to get all the knowledge and skills needed to install mooring lines.
- Download the Google My Maps App using Google Play or Apple Store
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your google username to be added as an editor for the project
- After being added, use in the in app menu to select maps “Shared with Me” and click on “Koh Tao Moorings”
- Collect and enter data and photos everyday you dive, directly from the boat using your phone or tablet