Mooring Line Maintenance and Installation Course
Mooring lines are one of the most simple and effective means to reduce structural damage to coral reefs caused by anchors and boats. Any tourism impacted area should have mooring lines available for use, but they can often be difficult and expensive to install. In this course you will gain a wide range of knowledge on the assembly and installation of effective mooring buoys. After receiving this certification you will have all of the necessary skills needed to maintain or install mooring buoys wherever they are needed.
- Be certified as an advanced diver under a leading diving organization (PADI, SSI, etc) (must include at least 1 deep dive)
- Demonstrate proper diving ability at an Advanced Level and be proficient in buoyancy and self-awareness.
- Understand the theories and practicalities of marine zoning and spatial planning
- Learn about the proper selection or construction of mooring lines bases/anchor points
- Understand the various parts of the mooring system, and how to design it for strength and longevity
- Know how to tie eight knots used throughout the installation of mooring lines
- Install/maintain a mooring line system
- Attend the Mooring Buoy and Marine Zoning lecture
- Demonstrate the ability to tie all eight knots discussed in the lecture
- Evaluate a mooring buoy and record data on its condition
- Install or maintain a mooring buoy system
Expected course time about 6 hours