Artificial Reef Theory and Techniques Certification Program
Artificial reefs have a wide range of uses in both coral reef restoration and problem mitigation. Artificial reefs can be used to replace structure in disturbed areas, expand reef areas, provide alternative dive sites and diver training aids, or provide interesting art installations. Although they can be made simply, there is a lot of planning and theory behind any artificial reef installment, and this course will give you the knowledge and skills you need to begin.
- Be certified as an advanced diver under a leading diving organization (PADI, SSI, etc) (must include at least 1 deep dive)
- Demonstrate proper diving ability at an Advanced Level and be proficient in buoyancy and self-awareness.
- Be certified in the Coral Nursery Theory and Techniques Program
- Understand the use and applications of artificial reefs and the differences between different artificial reefs types and materials
- Learn the practical standards and techniques for maintaining and monitoring artificial reefs
- Be able to identify the threats/disturbance history to a coral reef area and decide if artificial reefs are necessary, and which type of structure to use.
- Understand potential reasons for failure in artificial reef projects and the importance of proper planning and regular, long term maintenance.
- Learn to design and build an artificial reef structure specific to a chosen location using local techniques and standards
- Visit various artificial reefs that have been constructed from a range of materials and methods and evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of each type
- Deploy an artificial reef and transplant corals onto the structure
- Attend the artificial reef knowledge development sessions (2) and complete the written exam
- Construct and deploy an artificial reef structure
- Attend 3 dive briefings
- Perform 3 artificial reef dives (1) Maintenance and observation dive (2) monitoring and data Collection (3) deployment and attachment of coral from the coral nursery
- Practice at least 3 different transplanting techniques
Minimum course duration 10 hours